This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

The Best of You
She told him to relax. Of course, they'd all say that. They'd deny it as well. But looking at her, he just didn't get the same sort of predatory way about her as he had from Aria. The twinge was there, but he forced himself to remember. She walked dangerously, aware of any and everything lurking about. While this woman reminded him of her physically, everything else about her, including her relaxed, open and casual manner, was at polar opposite to Aria. He supposed that there had to be other Atharim- ones who didn't hunt. The thing is, she just didn't seem....something. He couldn't put his finger on it. She seemed genuine and used to being with people, used to helping them calm. He wanted to trust her.

She went on, explaining what she knew of the Atharim. But the end, her tone was filled with fury, as if she had personally tasted the sharp end of Atharim policies. "They hunt us like animals fit to be slaughtered. Disgusting practices if you ask me."
He knew the feeling all too well. While Hayden had never run afoul of them, just the idea that they would take it on themselves to kill him without a moment's thought- well, he felt the same way.

He looked at her for a moment, trying to decide. "I know of them. I've met one. Just one, unless you are lying to me."
He grimaced. "I'm sorry. The one I met actually was a decent person. She...killed a creature that was going to kill...some people."
He looked around. No one was close to them and no one seemed to be paying attention, but he lowered his voice. "She told me that my son was born with a gift. The Atharim refer to them as reborn gods. I don't know anything about that. But he died of the Sickness- he couldn't control his power."
His voice hardened. "But they would have killed him if they knew. We kept him from the hospital because we had heard rumors. He died with us, safe from them. But just the thought that they might have put him down like....like a rabid dog. Well, let me tell you that the Atharim are my enemies even though I'm just a nobody."

He watched her. The sympathy and understanding in her eyes was a give away. She knew. She was telling the truth. He relaxed a bit. He was still nervous with what he carried. But perhaps he found someone who might help him. "I know you know that feeling."

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Connor Kent - 07-16-2014, 11:32 AM
[No subject] - by Alex - 07-16-2014, 12:25 PM
[No subject] - by Connor Kent - 07-17-2014, 10:00 AM
[No subject] - by Alex - 07-17-2014, 12:54 PM
[No subject] - by Connor Kent - 07-17-2014, 01:18 PM
[No subject] - by Alex - 07-17-2014, 01:58 PM
[No subject] - by Connor Kent - 07-17-2014, 02:34 PM
[No subject] - by Alex - 07-17-2014, 02:49 PM
[No subject] - by Connor Kent - 07-17-2014, 04:02 PM
[No subject] - by Alex - 07-18-2014, 10:05 AM
[No subject] - by Connor Kent - 07-18-2014, 12:47 PM