This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

The Best of You
Connor's mouth dropped open as the words came out of her mouth. She had said atharim. He hadn't imagined it. Indeed, not only had she said it, but she knew all about them.

"Alex"

He shook her hand. 'Connor."
He looked around. No one was standing near them. He was very much aware of the weight if the drive on his back. Was she a spy? Was she trying to distract him. It couldn't be coincidence that he happened to have a smoking-gun with the atharim's prints all over it in his back pack and then happened to meet a woman who knew all about them, could it?

"I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to eavesdrop. It's just..."
He stopped. He didn't know this woman. From what he knew- which wasn't much at all- they were a dangerous group that had been around for...well for a very long time, if they were responsible for this. It was entirely possible that this was a ruse. He lied. "It's just that I'd never heard that name before. Atha..what? A secret society?"
He looked at her, feigning puzzlement. "You mean like the Illuminati kind of stuff?"
He laughed, hoping it would sound skeptical instead of the nervous that he felt. "What would they have to do with this..."
He looked for a date but nothing jumped out at him. "...this old tomb. Or the guy in it?"

What she said came back to him regarding her family and he couldn't help narrowing his eyes. He was glad she wasn't a mind reader or she'd see that he was all over the place. He looked back at the display, hoping to figure out how to proceed. "To be honest, I've never really bought into large conspiracies. Too many people required to keep silent. Seems like someone woulda said something to someone, even accidentally. Husband to a wife; friend to a buddy after having a few. Not to mention getting the funding."
He smiled at her, hoping she'd think he was being a friendly skeptic. "No offense meant. Not saying it's not true. Just saying why I've never bought into it."

He had no clue what he was doing. If she was atharim then she knew what he had and his feigned ignorance wouldn't fool her. There could be people surrounding the place as they spoke. Course, that seemed overkill. He was just one guy and while he new he could take this lady easily enough, all it would take is a man or five with a gun to get the drive. Distraction seemed unnecessary. That left the very real possibility that she was really just someone who knew what they should not and wasn't being careful.

He thought of the warnings he'd given to Tehya and Elias, to Ayden. He hadn't been careful either. He even remembered Tehya warning him that such a group might not want their secrets broadbast. Well, he hadn't cared then, about the consequences. But now....now things were different. He had Ayden to think about. Maybe this woman, Alex, needed a warning too.

"Like I said, I have trouble believing in conspiracy organizations, I will say that if something like that existed, it might be dangerous for you to let on that you know. At least so freely."

He looked at her. He wasn't sure what else to do.

Edited by Connor Kent, Jul 17 2014, 01:19 PM.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Connor Kent - 07-16-2014, 11:32 AM
[No subject] - by Alex - 07-16-2014, 12:25 PM
[No subject] - by Connor Kent - 07-17-2014, 10:00 AM
[No subject] - by Alex - 07-17-2014, 12:54 PM
[No subject] - by Connor Kent - 07-17-2014, 01:18 PM
[No subject] - by Alex - 07-17-2014, 01:58 PM
[No subject] - by Connor Kent - 07-17-2014, 02:34 PM
[No subject] - by Alex - 07-17-2014, 02:49 PM
[No subject] - by Connor Kent - 07-17-2014, 04:02 PM
[No subject] - by Alex - 07-18-2014, 10:05 AM
[No subject] - by Connor Kent - 07-18-2014, 12:47 PM