This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

First Steps
A silence stretched across the room until the tension was broken. Words came forth by Michael was just relieved he had no need to press the issue. The mix of conflicting emotions upon seeing Dr. Weston so distant bored into him like a parasite. He had done a poor job at explaining himself.

Why did he care what she thought? He had endured hatred and fear often enough. He felt wrung dry, and barely contained a sigh as the conversation flowed like the sea crashing against jagged rocks in a storm.

"You'll have your blood, but blood isn't enough. Nikolai might be ordering you, but it was my decision to choose how you would serve."

Michael leaned back and lifted his left hand to massage his temple. "There will be more than blood involved. Physical and psychological observation from multiple angles is required. I don't care how or why these powers work, but I do not rule half the world. What I do care about is preventing my people from becoming lab rats."

A possibility that was all too real, despite his power. Until he had a force strong enough to stand, he would have to make sure they did not crawl through broken glass.

"So, I am trusting you to lead this team. Keep them in check. My skills were useful at Mecca, but not in this matter. I can defend myself, but not an entire division of people who are likely confused and scared.

The memory of his trip to Slovakia was fresh. "I met a man like myself once."
It was best to keep the specifics a mystery lest anything better left alone reared its head. "He was convinced he was a demon. The village he lived in shunned him out of fear - I do not blame them for it - and so he eventually believed what they said. He kept his wife and daughter with him, but eventually even his wife believed. He killed her when she attempted to stab him. He killed his daughter in his delusion, when all he ever wanted was to protect her."

Michael leaned forward, willing Dr. Weston to understand. "I killed him."
Mentioning Nikolai actually did the deed was not the best of ideas. "But I did not kill the man who developed powers he did not ask for. I killed the pathetic creature he was driven by desperation and despair to become. This may just be following orders for you, but for the people under my command it will shape their very existence. We can create a force of heroes or monsters. This is the real reason you are here."

"So Dr. Weston, I will ask you once more. Will you lead this project? Can I trust you?"

Edited by Michael Vellas, Dec 9 2014, 08:00 AM.
"She saw a flaring halo around his head, radiant in gold and blue. It shouted of glory and power to come"
"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 11-06-2014, 04:24 PM
[No subject] - by Torri - 11-10-2014, 06:41 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 11-12-2014, 06:34 PM
[No subject] - by Torri - 11-20-2014, 08:08 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 11-20-2014, 10:04 PM
[No subject] - by Torri - 11-21-2014, 06:06 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 11-23-2014, 07:54 PM
[No subject] - by Torri - 12-04-2014, 09:13 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 12-09-2014, 07:57 AM
[No subject] - by Torri - 12-11-2014, 05:21 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 12-13-2014, 09:15 PM