This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Caesura
He raised an eyebrow, mouth quirking a slight smile even as he nodded. "Natalie, then."
. She was quiet and reserved, though he expected that of the English nobility. Of course, Ascendancy had done away with hereditary titles of all countries, instead appointing Patrons and members of the Sphere. All a way to reward loyalty or to ensure support- or even to deflect the ambitious. Still, for all the reserve, he detected a note of humor in her voice. "In fact, I did not expect music could help. Distraction of any kind makes controlling the writhing angry power a challenge, though one that can be overcome."
He frowned, something occurring to him.

Assumptions. He was proceeding based on assumptions. He needed to step back. The fact that she wanted to do research indicated a desire to understand, to move past intuition. Intuition had its place, but it could never replace the need for rigor. It was the one thing Srinivasa Ramanujan seemed to struggle with even as Hardy had tried to drill it into him. Intuition was not proof. The Reimann Hypothesis had been found to be true up to a height of a trillion trillion trillion trillion. But that was not proof. Somewhere far higher, a non-trivial zero might exist whose real part was NOT 1/2. You just couldn't know.

Or as Malcolm X had said, 'Never assume anything, brother!"

His eye dropped to her pad for moment before meeting hers again. His smile returned. "Would you mind sharing some of what you have learned? I cannot see you channel or your threads. I suspect that the differences in how men and women do so are great."
He allowed a look of sheepishness to show on his face. "Truthfully, it is a blindspot I'd rather not have. We've had a few women register but we've not yet been able to have them join us. You-"
he gestured to her pad, though he still kept his voice conversational- "- asked for a room for researching the power within this consulate- and appear to be methodical in your process. It is very commendable."
It was all framed as a request. But this was his Consulate. And research done into the Force belonged to him.

He relaxed amiably. "I've often found the best way to understand something is to learn what it is NOT."

Edited by Marcus DuBois, Mar 12 2018, 09:20 PM.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 02-21-2018, 07:21 AM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 02-22-2018, 02:54 PM
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 02-22-2018, 03:25 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 02-22-2018, 10:59 PM
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 03-12-2018, 08:11 AM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 03-12-2018, 10:39 AM
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 04-09-2018, 05:21 AM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 04-09-2018, 12:11 PM
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 04-11-2018, 02:52 PM
[No subject] - by Marcus DuBois - 04-13-2018, 11:28 PM
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 04-15-2018, 03:20 PM