This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Don't look at me
The first hit was so shocking, Maksim barely felt it. The sound echoed in his head, and he only registered that it it was his own skull because his vision swung around with the blow. After that, his entire body felt like rubber. If there was adrenaline, it wrung every ounce of strength from his limbs. He didn’t fight back. Didn’t even try to retaliate, but even if he wanted to, he wouldn't know where to begin.

It was like slamming his knee into the coffee table, only instead of his knee, it was his face. and tingles flung all the way around his temples. His arms flung up defensively after that, but Pavel’s fist slammed into his ribs instead. He gasped as air escaped his body like a punctured balloon. He already lost just because he woke up that day, but when he was on his hands and knees, he tried to bury his face low. Above, Pavel ordered him to stand and take it, but when he didn’t immediately stand and take it, his hair was wrenched back and the decision made for him. From the corner of his eye he glimpsed the stranger watching. Part of Maksim’s hiding was sheer defense; the rest was mortal embarrassment. 

He tried not to groan when the paramedics helped move him to the gurney. At least it came out more as a grunt.

+++

The ambulance was rolling again, but Maksim barely noted the bumps beneath or the wailing without. His head was pounding. Everything felt like it was swelling and blood pulsed tight inside. His jaw hurt, and he imagined it was going to be near impossible to open tomorrow. His breathing was shallow, and taking anything resembling a full breath shot needles around his ribs. How was he going to explain this to Alina - to his father. He glanced at Pavel once, but he was head-down, attention buried in a Wallet and ignoring him.

+++

At the hospital he was given morphine. It took some of the edge off and made his head woozy, but despite as much as he wanted to close his eyes and find this was all a bad dream, sleep didn’t come.

The click of high heels told him Alina arrived instead, but he didn’t roll over at the call of his name. 

He couldn’t look at her at all.
“Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.”
+
+ Maksim +
+

Messages In This Thread
Don't look at me - by Maksim Marveet - 04-28-2023, 02:44 AM
RE: Don't look at me - by Sofia Vasilieva - 04-28-2023, 02:31 PM
RE: Don't look at me - by Maksim Marveet - 04-28-2023, 07:41 PM
RE: Don't look at me - by Sofia Vasilieva - 04-28-2023, 10:08 PM
RE: Don't look at me - by Maksim Marveet - 04-30-2023, 05:13 PM
RE: Don't look at me - by Sofia Vasilieva - 04-30-2023, 11:39 PM