This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Horn of Valere/Plotting/Past Life
So the canonical Bible doesn't mention Gabriel in reference to a trumpet. Gabriel appears as an angel who spoke to Daniel and then the angel who performed the annunciation to Mary in the gospels (Luke, I think). The apocrypha (Tobit, I think- probably many others including documents in the Dead Sea Scrolls) expands out the idea of archangels, and in particular that there are seven of them. Gabriel, Raphael, etc. Traditions also merges a lot of these things together (Similar to how Mary Magdalene is spoken as a former prostitute because she is conflated with two other female characters in the gospels.)

BUT, to the point about the Trumpets, there are 2 places in particular that can be mined. 1 Thessalonians 4 speaks of the voice of an archangel, and speaking as a trumpet when he raises the dead at the end. And Revelation speaks of the 7 trumpet blasts which bring various plagues, etc. 

The first one definitely has echoes in the horn of valere and how it is used in the WOT series mythos. Be interesting to see how this could be incorporated. The question of where it came from is now something I really am curious about, given our game history. Each age is fairly well mapped out and it's hard to see in which it could come into existence. I confess I like the *finn idea for many reasons (including the paradox aspect)..   

In many ways, the horn feels like the portals- sort of out of time- and out of sync- with the rest of the RJ world. It is an early WOTism, when RJ was still fleshing out his world. Rand still was going to go blind literally and wander as a wounded beggar, Elayne would lose a hand, etc (Livingston's book). Rand appearing above the sky in Falme (retconned as a "Pattern Level Event" by RJ later.) He was still doing the world building. I think that makes it harder for me to fit it into the world lore.

Messages In This Thread
Horn of Valere/Plotting/Past Life - by Thalia - 03-26-2023, 09:42 PM
RE: Horn of Valere/Plotting/Past Life - by Thalia - 03-27-2023, 03:05 PM
RE: Horn of Valere/Plotting/Past Life - by Thalia - 03-27-2023, 07:21 PM
RE: Horn of Valere/Plotting/Past Life - by Nox - 03-27-2023, 07:34 PM
RE: Horn of Valere/Plotting/Past Life - by Marcus DuBois - 03-27-2023, 09:08 PM
RE: Horn of Valere/Plotting/Past Life - by Thalia - 03-27-2023, 09:26 PM