This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Spear Through Time
Another two months time and the construction will be completed, Dimitri’s message flashed across Aiden’s wallet, Are you quite sure you wish to remain in the city proper?

Aiden rolled his eyes as he took a drag from the cigarette dangling from his clenched jaw. Dimitri had been badgering him since he had returned to Moscow. That was not a negative trait in a personal assistant, but the repeated question had become tiring. Aiden had explained himself thoroughly in the few days that had passed since his return and Dimitri should have been professional enough to accept that.

I need to be here, Dim. I’ve told you already. Inspiration has hit me. I’ve got to start work on the sequel to ‘Russian Dolls’ while the idea is fresh, Aiden typed back on rote. Smoke streamed from his lips, the lights of Tverskaya emanating from the spaces between the blinds to illuminate the countless boxes that Dimitri had sent over.

But what if she comes back? She will look for you here, Dimitri sent back.

Aiden put his wallet down.

Gareth Rice, Rowan’s servant, had apparently been in contact with Dimitri during Aiden’s absence. It was not an unwelcome development, but Aiden would have preferred to facilitate it under normal circumstances. Gareth, before serving under Rowan, had been a family friend. Aiden had grown up with Gareth – he loved Gareth as his own brother. But Rowan had ensnared him. Not that that would have been hard for her to accomplish. Gareth was always pining after her during their teenage years; she was just too blind to give him a chance.

Rowan was gone and had wanted nothing to do with Aiden – despite him being the entire reason she had relocated to Moscow. Rowan was gone and had severed all ties – apparently – but Gareth could not accept that. He could not accept that and he could not find Aiden and so he had gotten into the head of Aiden’s personal assistant, Dimitri Alexeev; Dimitri had been all too eager.

Aiden was starting to think that Dimitri was taken with Gareth.

An unfortunate triangle that would be – Rowan had never been one to share.

Aiden finished his cigarette with a long, deep drag and snuffed it out into the glass ashtray to his side. He grabbed for his wallet, knowing full well that he should have left Dimitri on ‘read.’

I know you’ve given Gareth this address, Dim. What does it matter? Leave me to my books and my writings, Aiden responded before putting the wallet down once more and moving to the wet bar. Ice clinked and the whiskey flowed easily into his empty glass.

Aiden poured half a glass more than he should have – but who was there to judge him? He had told Sage that he needed a few days rest and relaxation and ‘no, don’t trouble yourself. I just need to sleep this out. I’ve never felt more exhausted.’ He had left Jaxen at the door to that condo with a half-hearted hug and a, ‘No, Jax. That is your prize to take. I have the spear; I don’t want your sword. Do what you will with it, just let me do my own thing with my own thing.’

The wallet vibrated and Aiden didn’t fight the urge to pick it back up. Dimitri again.

I’m sorry, Dimitri had replied. Aiden rolled his eyes. He expected the apology, but he didn’t need it. What Aiden needed now was time. Time to read and time to experiment with his new found treasure.

Don’t worry about it. Just make sure the manor is finished before the end of the year. I’m postponing my release tour btw. Call my legal team if Tor gives you problems. We can renegotiate for the spring, Aiden sent back. He drank half of the glass before moving into the back guest room. A stream of light passed over the cracked door, casting its brilliance upon Aiden’s foot as he moved to the opening. He paused as the wallet vibrated again.

Okay, now you’re talking crazy. I’m coming to see you. You don’t sound like yourself, Aiden, the screen read. Aiden rolled his eyes and tossed the wallet over his shoulder. It landed to the ground with a loud clatter as he opened the door.

The Spear revolved upon unseen hands in the middle of the room. All overhead lights had been switched off and the blinds had been thrown open to let in the evening glow of Tverskaya. Aiden felt a strange kinship with the weapon as he stared at the shinning black blade that capped its slender rod. The emanations of Fire and Spirit had grown weaker, but not its flame that Aiden could summon with the barest trickle of Light.

That was not to mention the dreams. The dreams of the man that blazed like the Sun. It was Lugh if the snake people were to be believed. Things had taken an even stranger turn since he had brought the Spear home and he was convinced that the answer was in the books the Dimitri had sent him.

Russian Dolls and Broken Gods, a new Fantasy novel by best-selling author, Aiden Finnegan, out this December! Preorder online and instore today!

Messages In This Thread
Spear Through Time - by Aiden Finnegan - 08-27-2022, 03:49 AM
RE: Spear Through Time - by Aiden Finnegan - 08-30-2022, 02:04 AM
RE: Spear Through Time - by Aiden Finnegan - 09-02-2022, 06:00 AM
RE: Spear Through Time - by Aiden Finnegan - 10-04-2022, 01:08 AM
RE: Spear Through Time - by Aiden Finnegan - 10-04-2022, 02:02 AM
RE: Spear Through Time - by Aiden Finnegan - 10-04-2022, 03:34 AM
RE: Spear Through Time - by Aiden Finnegan - 10-09-2022, 01:01 AM
RE: Spear Through Time - by Aiden Finnegan - 10-09-2022, 03:19 AM
RE: Spear Through Time - by Aiden Finnegan - 11-22-2022, 02:08 AM
RE: Spear Through Time - by Aiden Finnegan - 11-22-2022, 04:33 AM