This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Preparation Required
Home was busy.  Much busier than the short time she'd spent in Moscow.  And with her father in the hospital it had been even crazier.  

But now this power she had.  She hadn't even known she'd had it.  But now it existed.  Everyone knew it existed.  Hiding it had been easy - she hadn't known to do it.  And now there were others like her.  But home felt so far away now that she was here again.  

The City was always going.  Her work never ending.  The bikes never stopped coming in.  It was her thing, but this world was so much bigger now.  The first day while she sat in the hospital with her father watching TV she started tapping away at something. 

That something turned into more.  And each day until the day her father came home it became a piece of art in her mind.  The words flowed and the ideas were bright.  Theories were something, practice was another, but she didn't know enough, there was a lot more things to do.  She had all these theories about how the power might be able to strengthen the metals.  But she had no real idea of how that might be possible.  Earth and fire could easily smelt.  And water could squelch, it was all in basic metal working class.  Infusing the elements into the metal.  But she didn't know anything about smelting or metal working beyond the theory. That's what school was for...

Ilesha started looking at schools, and her eyes kept drifting towards Moscow.  The University there was exceptional, the power floated around that place like it was nothing.  And it was prosperous.  She'd never be without work, and a great education.

So she applied to the school in graduate program in whatever mechanical oriented programs that would take her.  Her application essay was the piece of art she'd written while she was in the hospital watching over her father.  She was proud of it.  

Ilesha hit submit and off it went in all it's mechanical glory.  This power could save the world.

Several days after Ilesha sent the application in she received a letter from the CCD.  Her mother looked at her with grim worry but her father was looking at the official seal of the New Consult that had been created to handle the 'magical things.'  He smiled at her and nodded, "Whatever it is, we support your wishes.  If they are hunting you down for your power, we'll hide you.   You'll be the New York City Anne Frank.  If they want you to work for them.  I'm so proud of you."

"I doubt it's anything like that Dad."  She said.  But she tore the letter open and what she read had surprised her.  "They want me to come talk about my essay I wrote in my application."

And that was how Ilesha found herself sitting in the Moscow University Library flipping through chemistry and metallurgy books trying to bone up her expertise on the things she was speaking about before her meeting with the consulate the next day.  

It wasn't a difficult subject but thinking about it in the new perspective was fun.  What she thought was real was now putting a new spin on everything she now knew.

Messages In This Thread
Preparation Required - by Ilesha - 02-10-2019, 06:01 PM
RE: Preparation Required - by Liv - 02-10-2019, 07:37 PM
RE: Preparation Required - by Ilesha - 02-10-2019, 10:20 PM
RE: Preparation Required - by Liv - 02-11-2019, 06:43 PM
RE: Preparation Required - by Ilesha - 02-11-2019, 08:03 PM
RE: Preparation Required - by Liv - 02-12-2019, 02:47 AM
RE: Preparation Required - by Ilesha - 02-12-2019, 06:10 PM
RE: Preparation Required - by Liv - 02-13-2019, 01:41 AM
RE: Preparation Required - by Ilesha - 02-13-2019, 04:24 PM
RE: Preparation Required - by Liv - 02-13-2019, 06:34 PM