This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

A Request [Belizna Estate]
She’d been expecting the sounds of a car, not the approach of a lone man.

“It will be,” she answered to the voice above. A swish of fingers closed the screens she had been working on, and she folded the wallet ready to slip back into a pocket. A moment of caution preceded the lift of her gaze, but only because the last time she had waited on steps like this, it had ended with her unconscious. That was a year ago now, and yet the unsettling memories of Africa never really left her. Sometimes the little sweeps of fear caught her anew at funny moments.

He wore no uniform, and had no men accompanying him. Or at least none he brought up to the steps. Natalie knew Jay’s tells by now, but saw nothing to suggest whether or not Michael was holding his power ready. Hypervigilance seemed a soldier’s due, though, and she would not be surprised. She did not reach for her own, only stood, slipping the wallet away and offering a gloved hand in welcome. Her sharp eyes watched for signs he recognised who she was, and if he was astute enough he might notice the glimmer of amusement in her. “I expected more pomp from a Custody man. I have to say I am relieved.”

Since she’d bypassed convention to reach him, she did not err on the side of formality now, though naturally she’d be responsive to his reactions should it prove necessary. Whether Natalie liked it or not, Jay was as beholden to this man as he was to the Custody, and though it was something he had chosen, it did not mean she would be easy in her judgements. Michael Vellas had been selected by Nikolai Brandon after all; she had preconceptions, and they weren’t necessarily glowing. But she’d give him the benefit of an honest chance. And things would be far less complicated if she could work with him easily.

“I plan for its doors to officially open in the New Year, but there is still a lot of work to do between now and then.” As she turned to press open said doors, she glanced for a read on his reaction so far. She was curious to see if he’d made presumptions in turn, about why she had invited him here or what she hoped to gain by it. The entrance foyer within was large, and quite silent but for the echo of their footsteps. “Would you like a tour first? The building is quite grand in all, but I’m afraid most of it is no warmer than outside at the moment.”

Messages In This Thread
A Request [Belizna Estate] - by Natalie Grey - 09-10-2024, 09:05 PM
RE: A Request [Belizna Estate] - by Natalie Grey - 09-15-2024, 07:21 PM